Friday, August 26, 2005

Easy Berry Cobbler

I grew up in an era that claimed the invention of the microwave oven as a modern miracle. 1980’s housewives were preparing everything from taco casserole to spaghetti and cakes to cookies in their microwaves. Soon it was discovered that it was very good at cooking things, as long as you liked them over-done, under-done, or unevenly-done. The microwave was taken off its pedestal and is still used today for warming food, cooking potatoes and of course, popcorn. Until recently, I never actually cooked with my microwave (Easy Mac cannot actually be considered “cooking”). I had too many haunting memories of nasty microwaved, tough food. Then a few weeks ago, my sister prepared a very yummy cobbler with fresh blackberries. I asked for the recipe and found that the cooking time is done entirely in the microwave! It is delicious and I’ve fooled many an unsuspecting oven fan. Give it a try:

3 cups berries tossed with 2 TBS corn starch and 1/3 cup sugar
Mix together:
2/3 c. brown sugar
½ c. flour
2/3 c. oats
1/3 c. butter
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
Pour over berries and microwave for 7-10 minutes. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. It is good, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! (Though I may be a little partial)
-The sister with the recipe

The Brothers said...

As it so happens, we have a vacant area down the street with eleventeen wild blackberry bushes. This translates into lots of blackberries at the Lewis house. Anywho, we tried the recipe for dessert tonight and there's not a crumb left.
Good idea! Now, should I thank Alysun or Andee? Let the sibling rivalry begin...

Sherri said...

I am not sure i belive it could be that good ,you could try and prove it to me saturday evening if i brought the vanila ice cream.give Em a kiss from her grandpa tom