Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My tired body feels like I have just finished a marathon as I finally sit down and relax to the sound of canning lids popping. My sister and I picked 75lbs. of peaches yesterday and canned most of them today. We grew up helping our mother can peaches, but neither of us has attempted the art of food preservation in our adult lives. There is a big reason that canning is not in fashion for today�s women; it is HARD WORK! For most people (including myself), it is a lot easier to go spend $1.78 for a can of peaches, than spending a whole day in a sticky, messy, hot kitchen. Even though it was not the greatest experience of my life, I do have a great sense of accomplishment. Granted, our hard work only yielded 10 jars apiece (I hope we are not too hungry this winter), but the feeling of preserving natures goodness is payment enough. Here is a picture of me and Andrea with our not-so-helpful-helpers at the beginning of the adventure:

3 comments:

Andee said...

Amen, sister. I need a vaccation!

Tawny said...

What about a picture of the end of your adventure? I am sure that that one would be quite amusing...

Annie said...

Way to go! I have to warn you that it is addictive. Soon you'll be wanting to put everything in jars! I tried pickles this year (I don't even like pickles). I'll be relying on my friends and family to let me know if they are good. The pickles were MUCH easier than peaches.