Thursday, December 14, 2006

Oprah and Bee Stings

Searching for the meaning in life is as old as the earth itself. Why am I here? What comes next? Is life more than just surviving everyday?

These days we have Oprah and Dr. Phil, sedatives, caffeine, self-helpbooks, therapists, and yoga to help us cope with life's big questions and still people are lost; people are lost from the big cities and small towns in 1st world United States to the small villages in rural Africa. Here in "3rd world Africa" there are no books to read about finding your inner power, no TV talk-show hosts to help you loseweight, improve your self-esteem, and decorate your bedroom on abudget. The living conditions may be completely different, but peopleare still searching for the same meaning.

Mozambique is a developing country and I now see why the description"3rd world" is no longer appropriate. As more of the civilized worldseeps into the culture here, technology, and also development comewith it. The village man balancing his wife and 2 children on a bike,peddling down a dirt road while talking on a cell phone is proof that life is changing here. There are 7 ATM machines in Lichinga and I canuse my Bank of America debit card at one grocery store.

The answers to life's biggest questions won't get answered with development and technology. People still need answers and that is whyit is important for Christians to be here. As life changes, the people find that what they thought was the answer is empty still. Knowing that you are created by a loving God, that you can have salvation fromthe sin that cripples you, and find fulfillment in a relationship withGod; that is the answer.

What missionaries do here is important. What Janice does is very worthwhile and I am grateful for her willingness to live and work with the people in Lichinga. The team of Christians have one goal and theywork so diligently discipling new believes, teaching Bible studies, sharing the Bible with people in the villages… all of it is so necessary if the people in this developing country are to have purposeand they continue on in the changing world. I've seen people hungry for God and that makes anything worthwhile.

I am writing this today mostly as a reminder to myself because it'sbeen a hard few days. Remodeling of any kind is always stressful, butadd 3 adults and one 2-year-old trying to co-exist to the project and it gets even harder. We are laying tile in a house that is more triangle than square! It is so frustrating. To top it all off, I stepped on a bee 2 days ago and got stung. My foot is throbbing and has the look and cramped feel of a shiny red economy car. It's easy for me to wish I was at home, enjoying my Christmassy house, watching "It's A Wonderful Life" while drinking hot chocolate. After all, I never would have got a bee sting in Oregon in December. But, as I reflect on why we are here, I know that our mission is important. The missionary's house we are working on has an important job and we are doing an important job that will make her life much easier. No matter where I put my feet up today, or walk with them tomorrow, I will encounter difficult situations. I just have to remember my purpose,the gift I have in my relationship with God and the Good News I have to share. With that in perspective, I am going to go get back to work (with a smile on my face and a spring in the step of my one working foot).

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Al, as I was getting ready to comment on today's journal entry. I thought to myself "Will Alysun even get to check her comments on her blog? Or am I simply writing for the benefit of all who love her?"

Either way, I write to say that I love reading the comings and goings of daily African life. I love, no...adore how you put your thoughts into words. They never fail to touch my heart and usually bring me to tears. You're in a place that some people dream of being, and others could never imagine being. I thank The Lord for you, Jeff and the other missionaries around the globe that put themselves aside to do His work. You're very special. I love you.

Grandma Sherri said...

Jenny I know Alysun may have difficulty retrieving our comments but your comments blessed me to, and I agree with every thing you said - I hope you look at this again cause I don't have time to go to your blog now and my computer at home is down Grandma E posting today under her real name!

Andee said...

I was standing in line at WaMart mere hours after reading this post, and what Point of Purchase display would I be standing next to, but a product called Sting Away. I had it in my cart before I relaized it would do you no good for me to have "cooling bee sting relief." Sorry I couldn't help you out. Meanwhile, why is WalMart promoting bee sting relief products in the dead of Oregon winter? I'll never know.