Monday, December 18, 2006

We're Coming Home!

Most people's reaction to the news we were traveling to Africa involved a question about our young daughter, Emma. "Are you taking her?" They would ask in horror. My response was always, "Yes, and we are taking the necessary precautions to keep her healthy and happy." After all, children do live in Africa. In reality the thought of Emma getting sick in Africa was a real concern to me. I went to the travel clinic before we left and Emma was completely vaccinated for all the known diseases and I got medicine for all those unknown germs floating around in food and water, and mosquitoes. The rest of my worry was alleviated as people promised to pray for us. I left for Africa with peace that only comes from God.

Now, as we are preparing to leave Africa for our safe home in the States, Emma is sick. She started by vomiting all night and then the diarrhea came. I prayed for wisdom as I gave her the medicine I got for diarrhea prescribed by the doctor we visited before. She didn't have a fever at all, so I wasn't concerned about Malaria. I was still worried yesterday evening when Emma still had not been able to keep anything down for 24 hours. "Do not worry about tomorrow," that verse in the book of Matthew says. As we were getting ready for dinner last night, Peg, a medical missionary up from the Lake for one of her 2 yearly holidays, came by unexpectedly for a haircut from Janice. Peg graciously game me advice after hearing the symptoms and told me not to worry and that it was most likely Geardia that Emma was suffering from.

Thanks you God for answered prayers in the form of a doctor coming for a haircut! We still have a sick baby, but I know that she will be alright. We leave tomorrow for Maputo (a 3 hour flight with 3 stops) where we will spend 2 nights. On Thursday (your Wednesday night), our plane leaves for Seattle, via Johannesburg and London. We arrive home Friday afternoon and then drive with my parents back to the valley late on Friday. Although I am ready to be home, I am dreading this trip. Pray that Emma starts getting better immediately and if she doesn't, that I will have the patience, extra changes of clothes and diapers to deal with what ever comes up. :)

Our preparations for leaving today involved one last trip to the market (Jeff stayed home with the sick baby -- such a good dad). I was looking for baskets or rugs, but there weren't any. I bought a few capalonas (African fabric), and a bamboo necklace. I also took my camera and got pictures of the market and a bunch of kids who won me over with their smiles. Could you resist a child who runs up to you with a big smile, points at his chest and then poses with another big smile? I couldn’t and once again made their day when I showed them the image on the back of the camera.

Janice is getting ready for a road trip tomorrow to Marrupa and on to Cuamba, so she is busy as well. Tonight I am making real American hamburgers (or as close as we can get) for the Mozambiquan girls next door, Peg, the doctor, and Sun Ae, the new SIM missionary from Korea. We even have strawberries and homemade ice cream for dessert (I wish I could bring you some, Dad).

See you soon!

3 comments:

Tawny said...

I am praying for your trip and your sick baby girl!!! Hurry home :)

Anonymous said...

We are praying you make it through London with their fog problems right now. Be safe. ~Wanda

Marci said...

Been praying for you and Emma. Looking forward to seeing you tonight at our house in Dallas, Oregon!! Love you, Aunt Marci