Saturday, August 30, 2008

Football Season

Jesse, my youngest brother-in-law, is a Junior in high school this year and starts on the varsity football team for Central. We went to his first game last night against the defending state champs. This was the most anticipated game of the season because Central was the #2 team last year. The fans came out and it was a really fun game to watch. I make no aspirations of being a sport's photographer, but I did bring my camera to document this important game.

Jesse is wearing the #99 jersey. He played a great game and even scored a touchdown. Central won the game by a good margin. I don't know the exact score because we left with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter when the opposing team had no chance of winning and both our children were fighting sleep and needed to get home. 

I am quite sure there were no guys like Jesse when I was in high school. For one thing, he is 6'4" and such a nice looking young man (don't I sound like an old married lady? :). He also has a solid character, is well mannered, mature, has good friends, and did I mention he is 6'4"? All the guys I knew in high school were 5'4", shiny boys who peered up at me with love struck eyes and nervous giggles. Short boys always like tall girls.

The cheerleaders were quite perky last night. When, I was in high school, I was in awe of the cheerleaders. Being a ridiculously tall, uncoordinated musician made cheer leading completely out of my league, even if my parents would have let me, which they would not have. And I was home schooled. There were many reasons why I didn't cheer. They were so cool, look at the kind of tricks they can do! Seeing them now as an adult made me want to roll my eyes at their perkiness, skinniness, short skirts and really impractical tricks. How on earth is being able to stand way up in the air while supported by other tiny people going to make you a better person? Actually I did roll my eyes and say, "What-e-ver." I flipped my long blond hair behind my shoulder, smacked my imaginary gum and sighed. Yes, the tall girl is still delusional. It must be quite a lot of work to be so perky all the time.


Jesse had quite a cheering section (even without the TOTALLY awesome cheerleaders). Any time even half of the Peters show up, you have a cheering section. Janice came, along with the folks, Juli, and John and Kelly's family, and us.

The game wasn't over until after 10pm, so that left quite a few tired little ones. Emma and Josh cuddled up with Grandma. So cute. 

Eventually, Emma made herself a bed on the cement riser of the bleachers. She is a creature of habit and must be in bed by 8pm. Both girls did well at the game, but Mandy was especially cranky, twisting to and fro trying to get comfortable and sleep, which she never did go to sleep.  Even going to bed at 10pm, they were up at 7am this morning. My kids are weird. I have no idea how people get their kids to sleep in. I long for them to sleep in past 7am. Instead, we are all creatures of habit and home bodies and are quite happy in our little world. It is fun to get out and see a good football game though. Next time, I am not bringing the kids.

3 comments:

Kari said...

my darlings are early risers as well. A good friend told me to keep them up later (bedtime is around 7) and they would in time start to sleep in later.

For the life of me, I CANNOT see the logic in this. Keep tired children up later, so they can acquire the terrible habit of sleeping in!

I LOVE my quiet evenings, and the happy mornings, and the lovely nap time in the afternoon. I wouldn't trade our home body schedule for anything!

Peters Family Farms said...

Dispite the roster he is actually 6'5" +. Even better!

Andee said...

As a former cheeleeader, I would like to point out that cheelreading is a legitimate sport developing character, promoting working as a team, maintaining physical fitness, and promoting an optimistic outlook on what could be a dismal high school experience. Wait. I was never a cheerleader. So like never mind and stuff.