Monday, November 10, 2008

A princess cake

Emma requested a princess cake for her party. She talked about it for weeks. Before the princess idea, she had it in her head that she wanted a cake that was shapped like a wrist watch. And before that was a Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtle cake (I am pretty glad she moved on from that one).

I had an idea of how to make the cake, but leave it to Betty Crocker to have a video tutorial. Emma watched it with me and I was very impressed with all the details she remembered from the instructions. She was SO thrilled with the results.






A highlight of the party was the kitchen unit my dad (Papa Tom) made for Emma. He modeled it after Pottery Barn Kids' Kitchen. I think his design is even better. 






I am thankful all our family could come and celebrate with Emma. It makes a pretty packed house (10 kids under 4 years). She received such nice things and flitted from one thing to the next today, trying to decide what to play with. She loves her clothes, pj's, kitchen stuff, Barbie, doll house, and globe.







10 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love her princess cake. Anna also wants a princess cake for her bday...I'm a little nervous to attmept it, I'll have to watch the tutorial! Yours turned out great.

The kitchen that her papa made is such a special gift, too.

Melanie said...

Wow. That cake is amazing! You have set a high standard.

I went to a fancy mall last month and saw Pottery Barn's mini-kitchen furniture for the first time, and I have to say - I think the stuff my dad made for us as kids was way cooler. Our sink had a REAL faucet. :)

Dan & Hillary said...

Aww.. I would have loved to see the Ninga Turtle cake;-)

Shawna said...

As Madison would say "Wow wee!"

Peters Family Farms said...

That is a great kitchen set. Josh and Jake talked about it today with my daycare children :) Tell my beautiful nieces aunt Kelly loves them!

Jenni said...

Great cake Al! Happy B/D Emma!

I had to come find you at your favorite past-time, cause I can't seem to get a response from you on email.....you've been busy I see. =)

Cathy said...

What an adorable princess cake! Great job!...and great job, grandpa!!

Kari said...

so...we made princess cakes what 2 or three weeks apart? Mine for my little 4 year old too...It was much easier than I thought it would be though!
Best wishes for her 4th big year!

Michal said...

i'm jealous about the kitchen set. i really want one and refuse to pay pb's prices. yours looks gorgeous.
great job on the cake! what a great birthday for a 4 year old.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the cake! What a fun time it looks like y'all had! I love that kitchen set. Amazing.