Saturday, April 11, 2009

Greasy Mayhem

If Mandy was a wrestler, her stage name would be Greasy Mayhem.



This is a hair update (see yesterday's post if you wonder why it looks like Mandy went wallowing in oil). Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't try beer. I forgot to buy some when I was at the store, and I was a little frightened about the idea anyway. I tried baby powder, sprinkling it on and letting it sit for an hour. Then I washed it with Dawn again. Then I washed it three more times with grown-up shampoo. And the above picture is the results of my efforts.

I made a realization yesterday that much of the residue from the Bag Balm still remains in the tub, so perhaps all these washings aren't helping as much as they could. Emma's hair took on an unnatural greasiness after sharing a bath with Greasy Mayhem.

Today I washed Mandy's hair again with Dawn in the sink, using the spray nozzle. Why did I think she would enjoy this experience? And why did I not realize I would get soaked? Her hair actually looks quite a bit better after our fight with the spray nozzle. Some of the residue rinsed out. I am going to try this technique again when Daddy is home to put the smack down on Mayhem. Maybe, just maybe, we'll have her hair back to normal someday soon.

On the plus side, she no longer has the cradle cap that I've been battling since her birth. I tried everything to get the scales off her scalp. But I didn't try soaking her head in 1/2 an inch of Bag Balm and then scrubbing her scalp with dishwashing soap 400 times. Who knew?

7 comments:

Grace said...

It's looks a lot better! Good work! Have you tried rinsing with vineger? Just think, you will have such a vast knowledge of home remedies by the time you're done!

Sara said...

Yay for getting rid of the cradle cap....if it returns, will you try the Bag Balm again? Just wondering... ;o)

Andee said...

If you're going to call her Greasy Mayhem, which is a terrific wrestler name, I would consider spelling it with an "i-e" to make it more feminine, you know.

Cathy said...

It's looking better! I've got Bag Balm on my list to look for in the store, but will keep it well away from the grandkids for sure for sure.

Alyce said...

That's funny! One of the things that worked best for my sons' cradle cap was rubbing olive oil into their scalps and then washing it with dandruff shampoo (as suggested by their pediatrician). Have you tried dandruff shampoo? You have to be careful about not getting it in their eyes because it burns really bad, but otherwise I've had success with it. But then we've never had bag balm in our hair. (My grandparents used it on us for all sorts of owies when we were small though.) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Love it! You make me laugh. Some good came out of it, right?

Choco Girl said...

LOL! That was funny! Smack down...ha ha ha! Well at least you found a cure for her dry scalp! Okay, I know not the way you wanted to. I actually bought some the other day after your review and after looking at another website. Cool so far! And yes it does stink! *whew* Good thing I live by myself. But if/when I get married, the hubby-bubby better be prepared *smile*