Sunday, May 03, 2009

Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters...

I know a thing or two about sister. After all, I am one, I have one, and I am raising two. There is a special bond between sisters. I love this song from White Christmas. If you've never seen the movie, it is a great classic film with a nice love story, beautiful costumes, and great music.




As the song implies, you love your sister like no one else, yet there is always a competition there too. "When a certain gentleman arrives from Rome.... She wore the dress and I stayed home..." Oh, it's true. There was never a Roman gentleman between my sister and I, but a few arguments over clothes, boys, and music.  And now I will have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. 



My girls already have a special bond. Emma is fiercely protective of her sister, takes good care of her and then snatches the favorite toy from her hand. Mandy wimps around the house like a sad puppy if Emma isn't around to play with and then tackles her to the ground for any perceived wrong. There is screaming in there too. Boy howdy! Little girls can scream.




Sisters make the best friends, as I can attest to myself. And I love watching my girls play nicely together, learning compromise, and a little about the give and take required in friendship.




A little strange that a 1 and a half year old can tackle a 4 and a half year old to the ground. But this is the game and smiles are still on their faces.




And Emma breaks free as the older, stronger sister.




And then they are back to playing happily. It's a fun relationship. One I hope they can appreciate for a lifetime. Like I do with my sister.



Because when you grow up, you still have a sister... and a friend too.

13 comments:

Cooking with Big E said...

I confess I know very little about sister relationships because I have none to compare to. My Mom has 2 brothers, I have one brother, and I have a child of each gender. I'm also a wee bit jealous because I can only imagine how great having a sister could be! Don't get me wrong, I love my "little" (he's 6'4") brother but having a sister as well would have been pretty neat. Your girls are lucky to have each other!

Melanie said...

Great - thanks! Now I have that song running through my head too!

Lisa Morrish said...

Sisters are very special. I'm glad Katie and I are finally best friends (there was some doubt when we were little). I'm glad Emma and Mandy have already formed a close bond.

Alyce said...

I have two sisters, and I know that song by heart. I'm sure it's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the night. That was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

Choco Girl said...

That was precious!

Grandma Sherri said...

Those pictures are priceless as is the sister relationship. I miss my sister.

Dan & Hillary said...

Mandy is growing up so fast! The girls will be sharing clothes in no time.

Lindsay said...

Pretty pictures of your girls....and you do such a good job at fostering that wonderful sibling relationship between them.

Linds and Manda said...

I always wanted a sister. Now that I'm older I am really thankful God gave me Brad as a brother. I think I was thankful as a kid too but was less willing to admit it...cool as I was(n't). I'm also thankful that God has placed some wonderful women in my life to fill that void of sister. You are a blessing.

Cathy said...

Sisters are definitely special. These pictures are so fun! I love them all! On a Ladies retreat at our church a few years ago, me and another girl lip-sank the whole routine. It was a hoot! Thanks for putting it back into my head..."Sister...sisters"!

Michal said...

i am so grateful and excited to be giving my daughter a sister. my sister has been my best friend from day one and i can't imagine life without that bond. i have always felt sorry for women and girls who don't have a sister. what a blessing they are.

Sara said...

That's why I wanted this baby to be a girl! Don't make me sad. =(

Jenni said...

Kitty came home!!! When did it come back?