Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nearly perfect solution:

Awhile back I told you about my desk dilemma in the kitchen (read about it by clicking here). Many commented about different solutions and I appreciated the advice. My husband's opinion was really against getting a computer armoire for the space, thinking it would feel like another fridge. Also, there is a heater vent that would be covered up. Then Design With Christine (a decorator on one of my favorite blogs) weighed in and agreed with my husband, pointing out that the doors to the armoire would likely be always open and rather annoying. True, true.

That left me with an option of a desk or a uh, desk. I still wanted something that would feel like a substantial piece of furniture, not "just" a desk. I found 2 I liked. One was unfinished at Rick's Bargain Center in Salem and the other was at Encore Home Furniture in Mcminnville. Encore is a consignment/outlet warehouse that has lots of really great furniture for reasonable prices.



And that is where I found this nearly perfect desk. Ooh look, there is a the heater vent! I really like the hutch and the space in the middle is a bit larger than my computer screen on all sides -- perfect. What isn't ideal is the color, an off white. Next to my super white cabinets it looks dingy. It needs to be painted. And there isn't a space for a printer, so that brings me back to what many suggested and that is a wireless printer.

I went and bought the desk yesterday and even got $50 off because one of the back corners was buggered. After loading it up in Jeff's pick-up, me and the girls headed to Emma's favorite restaurant, Wendy's. We ordered and I corralled the girls to a table where we could see the pick-up out the window to make sure no one ran off with our lovely find. I noticed what appeared to be a Wendy's staff meeting at the table behind us and thought nothing of it. Eating with little children who think condiments are for painting doesn't leave a lot of time for eavesdropping. As I was dumping out garbage and preparing to leave, a women (apparently the owner of that Wendy's) rushed up to me and said, "I am SO sorry you had to overhear that." I said that I hadn't heard anything, but she interrupted and kept apologizing over and over saying that no one should be subjected to that while dining, especially a young family with such beautiful girls -- I'll take what compliments I can get. She handed me a handwritten note saying I was entitled to 3 free frosties, 3 5 piece chicken nuggets, and 3 free hamburgers. She wanted to be reassured that we would come back and not be influenced by what we heard, or rather what we didn't hear. OK, rather random, but I took it and decided to order the food then because I had no idea when I would next be in that town eating at that Wendy's and want to try to redeem a handwritten note.

I got back to the farm in one piece in the pick-up, far more thankful for my cruise control, air conditioning, and automatic transmission than before. I bestowed the free food on hungry workers who were very appreciative. I guess you could say I was in the right place at the right time, even if I didn't hear anything. Really, I heard nothing. Now I sort of wish I had because I want to know what I wasn't supposed to hear. Is that wrong?

12 comments:

Cooking with Big E said...

Cute desk! The wireless printer sounds like a good idea. I really wish ours was wireless because it's a pain to take the laptop into the office and hook everything up just to print something.

I'd definitely be curious about the conversation you missed out on. Must have been a good one!

Anonymous said...

Looks good... like it belongs at your house :) God's unexpected blessings amaze me. Jenni Birch

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

LOVE the new desk!! It really is perfect, huh? I have to go check out that store!

Melanie said...

That's beautiful! It looks like the desk-top moves - what is that for? And does the front door pull out for your keyboard?

Dan & Hillary said...

Very nice addition to the kitchen. What a find!

Whatever the conversation at Wendy's was about, I'm sure it was full of profanity. What a score on the free food, though! Hope the manager gave her employees a stern talking-to later.

Peters Family Farms said...

You said buggered! :) I love all the Peters' words I can't help but say: frogged, tom wieser, cronies ect.!!!

That would drive me crazy not knowing what I didn't hear!

Grandma Sherri said...

The desk is perfect! Free food is always wonderful, and Hillary is probably right about its content- Aday for blessings I guess perhaps inclucing what you didn't hear!

Cathy said...

That is one cute desk! And what a blessing of free food for something you didn't even have to endure! Yay!

Stacy said...

Congrats on a great find! The desk looks like it meets all the needs, furniture-y, desk-y, and has your computer safely out of the way of the messes of the counter (and a heating vent to boot).

Sara said...

No, it's not wrong! I'm dying to know what they talked about too! =)

The desk is cute. What color will you paint it?

Linds and Manda said...

Glad you found something that works. It looks great. I love you so I am going to keep reading your blog but it just ends up making me feel disconnected with my home. :) You are so good at making things look good. Cool thing about Wendy's. I love it when we are in the right place at that right time.

Lindsay said...

Really cute desk! It'll be perfect. I have been to the Encore Furniture in Salem, but not Mcminville. It's always fun to look around. Sweet deal at Wendy's! I love those kind of days.