This is taken in the wheat field by our house, summer 2010
- Farmer's receive about 4 cents of the cost of a loaf of bread sold at retail.
- A single bushel of wheat (about 1 million kernels) will make 73 loaves of bread, 53 boxes of cereal or 72 pounds of tortillas.
- An acre of wheat can produce enough wheat to furnish a family with bread for nearly 10 years.
- It takes a combine nine seconds to harvest enough wheat to make 70 loaves of bread.
- The United States uses over 3 million bushels of wheat each day.
- Wheat was first planted in the United States in 1777 as a hobby crop.
(Wheat Marketing Center and Idaho Wheat Commission Statistics, as seen in Capitol Press).