Friday, August 24, 2007

The Cost of Play Doh

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and bought Emma some Play Doh. You've all heard/seen the many horror stories of Emma getting in to stuff in the kitchen, so I thought Play Doh might occupy her just as well as my flour canister and bananas. I told Jeff at lunch about my purchase and he asked me, with a panicked expression, "How much was it?"
You must realize that Jeff and I had similar upbringings and store-bought Play Doh was a luxury neither of us enjoyed. We grew up on the homemade stuff that was gritty, stunk, and always lost its color, turning to a rock hard lump of gray after a week or so. I had always assumed that Play Doh was up there with Pop-Tarts and real Oreos and cost about $15 a package. I now know Pop-Tarts are less that $2, Oreos are about $2.50, and Play Doh? Oh, yes. It is only 50 cents for a tub.
My wonderful mother was a genius with money when I was young, because she had to be. I am sure even 50 cents made a difference and I appreciate that she took the time to make us homemade Play Doh. I didn't realize what I was missing out on until I was at VBS one year and came home with a prize from my teacher -- a real can of Play Doh.
I am a blessed mommy, and somewhat lazy, so I bought 2 little cans of it for Emma.
She has really been enjoying it and happily plays at the kitchen table while I am working. She announces when her cookies are done (taking them out from under her leftover container with a "ding") and this day she was making animals. These pictures are of her "meow." I absently said, "That's nice, sweety," when she told me she had created a meow. When I went over to look, I was shocked it really looked like a cat. Apparently she just has a lot of creative energy and it is thankfully being expressed in Play Doh (instead of my stuff).
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Carrie Jean (to be Peeples) Friesen said...

Hi Alysun! Thanks for the comment on our wedding website. I like reading your blog on catching up on life. But since the last time I saw you (I think) was before you were married, it seems crazy to me that you have a kid with another one on the way, how fun!! I thought Play Doh was a luxury growing up as well. Although I don't think we even got the home made kind, we were totally deprived ;)

Lindsay said...

What a coincidence, my kids are playing with playdough as I type! I do have a good recipe for kool-aid playdough, that smells really yummy and is super soft.....if you ever feel like actually making some :) I usually buy mine too!

Annie said...

One time I made "gingerbread playdough" for my kindergarteners during the holidays that looked and smelled like real gingerbread. Yeah, you can see where this is headed... After they all got a taste of it the novelty wore off.
I agree, the KoolAid playdough is really nice. I wish I had the recipe. Sounds like a job for FOOD LOVE!!! Even though it's not food, no pressure!

Jessi Reber said...

Hee, hee..I remember going to your house when we were little and be utterly disappointed that you didn't have the "real" stuff...I had no idea my mother was so extravagant to buy us the real thing...maybe ours was a gift too. :)
p.s. check out Drew's blog, He updated after 8 months!! Be sure to leave a comment to encourage him to continue!!!

Anonymous said...

Your Mother has always been an amazing lady. The day after you were born was the day we had planned to go picking corn in a field about to be harvested by machine. Instead of not going because your Mom was 'slightly' occupied, one of the neighbors (Susan) and I went out and barely made it out of the rows as the combine came through. Good times, good memories.
Blessings this night...
Wanda

Tawny said...

My mother made me play doh too and might I add, it was quite salty (this coming from the girl who tasted EVERYTHING). I always thought it a treat to play with the real stuff. Hey you haven't posted in a couple of days-- are you having a baby???

Grandma Sherri said...

I tried desparatly to post something in my defence the other day but for whatever reason my computer at work won't bring up the comments, just as well since I'm really not supposed to be there, but it keeps me going and gives me something to smile about when i go back to work. So I'm thinking it must be one of those things that went down in price were we really so broke we couldn't afford .50? you did have to buy a 4 pack, no Walmarts in those days, I don't have a clue what Ben Fraklin charged for it... but it dried out so fast and the disappointment was so hard to take!