Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hey, there's some hay!

I don't have pictures right now to show you the difference between hay and straw, but I can give you some pointers so you can tell for yourself and protect you from any "hay" blunders. Generally speaking, hay bales are green. The grass is cut green and is very nutritious for the live-stock to eat. Straw on the other hand is a very blond/yellow color. Also, the time of year you see the bales will help you differentiate. Hay is cut earlier than straw, in May and June. Straw is taken and baled after the harvest, so you will see it in all its *blond beauty in July and August. Of course hay and straw are hauled all year on trucks, so you will need to look closely if you are out of season. It can be tricky, but I hope this helps!


*My farmer husband was completely opposed to me using the word "blond" to describe the color of straw. I'm just trying to be descriptive. I am not a farmer, I just work here.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I think the word "blond" is perfect in describing straw. In fact I think Anna's hair color is about the exact color of straw :)

Lindsay said...

I also meant to say, I LOVE the yellow template.

Sara said...

"Blonde" - Ha, I love it! I know just how you feel! I'm still trying to get all the fishing lingo down. As you similarly said, I'm not a fisherman...