Thursday, July 24, 2008

twins

I've always wanted twins. I really, really wanted twins when I was pregnant with Emma and thought I was going to die with 9 months of puking and puking some more. My theory was that I could get 2 babies for the price of one horrible pregnancy. Never mind that the real work comes after the puking stops. And the real expense too. I just bought diapers today and I am glad that I did not have to buy 2 boxes. God knows what I can handle.

And besides, Mandy does have a twin! Her name is Adelyn and I didn't have to do any of the work in birthing her (or nursing her!). And I don't have to bye her diapers. And I don't have to figure out how to hold her squirmy body and Mandy's squirmy body and Emma's hand while crossing a parking lot.

Of course, if you haven't gathered by now, Mandy and Adelyn are not related. Was it the hair that gave it away? Or their skin color? Or the fact they couldn't look more different?

Adelyn belongs to my friend Janelle. She was the first person I told that I was pregnant. Sorry, Mom. Sorry, Andee. Sorry, Kelly. It was just too cool that we were pregnant with our babies and due around the same time. I couldn't help but tell her and we were both so excited. When Janelle started bleeding at 8 weeks, she called me. I was devistated. I was sure she was miscarrying her baby and I was keeping mine. It wasn't fair. I was completely hormonal and sad for my friend and cried and cried.

Praise God that Janelle did not miscarry and Adelyn is here. Again I was quite hormonal when I called Janelle to tell her I had finally had my baby girl. She said, "So did I!" I cried again, but this time because I was so happy. The girls were born 2 hours apart on Sunday, September 16, 2007.
I hope they will always be friends. Because they will always share a special day.

Even if they look nothing alike.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

cute, cute, cute!! I love how you told the story with the pictures.

Anonymous said...

they are sooo cute! And they have the same birthday! That is too cool! I have a birthday twin also, but we are like 4 years apart. That's okay :-)

Sadie said...

So if Mandy is Adelynne's twin can I claim her as a niece? Mandy's smile is fantastic. Ada is so long. It is nice to see her catching up with her twin in size. This is a great story.