Wednesday, July 16, 2008

VBS

VBS is going great and is half way through (Praise the Lord!). The group keeps growing and today there were over 100 kids. We meet at our pastor's home at the edge of town. There is space in the back acreage for the different sites: Snack Shack, Treasure Hut, Story Time, Games, Pool (in-ground and heated), and Crafts. All these activities keep the leaders hopping for 3 hours in this really hot weather.

Today I had 14 in my 5 year old group. Yes, 14 including 2 2-year olds (other leader's kids) and Emma who thinks she is 5. Each session is only 20 minutes. Imagine if you only had 20 minutes to take all these darling to 2 toilets and then swim, allowing enough time to change afterward. In 20 minutes. 20 minutes only to bathroom, swim, change, and be sitting at story time. The first day I did not do well. I only had 1 helper and we took 35 minutes and were late for story time. As the week wears on -- I mean goes swimmingly on -- I am getting a little faster.

The outdoor setting is really fun. The theme is "Who is the King of the Jungle?"

I pray they are soaking in some truths about the Bible through the chaos. Today our session times were combined with the 6 year olds. There were 12 of them.

I know they are having fun. Emma is keeping up with the older kids pretty well. There is a huge difference from 3 years old to 5 years old. I can tell she is often overwhelmed, but doesn't want to call attention to herself with a meltdown -- that's my egocentric introvert. On the plus side, she's volunteering held my hand and sat on my lap more these last 3 days than in the last 3 years combined. She's watching and learning and it is just a bit scary.

This week is pretty stressful for me. I have a long to-do list. The way my list looks right now reminds of what happens when a group of 12 5 year olds, 1 3 year old, and 2 2 year olds is suddenly forced to stop. They go bumping into one another, some falling down crying, some just standing peacefully waiting for the next change of pace, some not stopping at all, continuing on to find more chaos. My list of "to-dos" is bumping into each other, some things are crying out (my messy kitchen), some are standing patiently waiting (the senior pictures from last week that need editing), and some just don't stop at all (needed groceries, laundry and that dirty bathroom).




6 comments:

simplykersh said...

You are almost done! Then life will return to "normal".

Lindsay said...

So neat you are able to help. We did one last week out here (much smaller scale, though!) and I was still exhausted every day. In fact I came home and took a nap a couple days! It's a lot of work, but so rewarding. It makes me smile when I hear Wyatt still singing the VBS songs or saying his verse :)

Dan & Hillary said...

A little 'bedlam' never hurt, eh? Glad Em's hasn't had a public meltdown. Take it for the team, Em!

Cathy said...

You WILL be rewarded, if you haven't been already!

Andee said...

Your kitchen must be clean or you wouldn't be blogging, right?
You're my hero, Snook.

Grandma Sherri said...

All this plus 2 little boys? More raspberries needed! I think it must be close to an impossibility to get that many little ones in and out of the pool and to their next class in 20 min!! I am also in the middle of my busiest week of the summer, you don't even want to know what 400 Jr highers can think ofto make a mess,then all clean Saturday and beds made for family camp !! It makes me tired just thinking of it