Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Labor Day = Labor

My husband doesn't take holidays off. He even works on Thanksgiving and Christmas -- the cows don't take holidays from eating unfortunately. So, we've all been working and having a little fun on the side. Jeff went 3/4 wheeling with friends (some have 3 wheelers and others have 4 wheelers) on Sunday and took the girls for a ride at the end. I don't know how I ended up with 2 dare devil girls, but I blame it all on their father's genes. Emma yells "faster, faster" the whole time and Mandy swings her legs and bounces with excitement with the biggest grin on her face.



We had a lot of work to do on the yard. My husband can't help but fertilize his already lush, green lawn. Every summer he fertilizes the yard and then wishes the grass wouldn't grow so fast. He got some free fertilizer from his brother and then it rained. The grass was too long to bag in the mower, so we had to rake it. These are things you should consider before you think about having an acre of lawn. I complained that he should pull a hay rake around with the 3 wheeler and then we could bale it. Just trying to be creative.

Emma was quite a good helper for about 2.5 minutes. She made a pile about the size of a dinner plate and then put it in the wheelbarrow. Then she was off to more fun things like going boating with the Barbies. A few days ago, we stopped at our neighbor's house to see if she had any extra zucchini and we came home with a surplus of veggies and toys that the neighbor wanted to get rid of. We got a dump truck and a backhoe (in perfect condition)  and 2 of the toys were boats that fit Barbie perfectly. What a cool find. The toys have already given us hours of entertainment. I love free toys. I also love free zucchini. My plants did not make it, so we are forced to beg for it. Thankfully, everyone is so happy to give it away and we've had plenty to enjoy. My favorite (and Mandy's) is zucchini cakes. 




I was wondering around with my camera, trying to get out of raking the yard and I took some pictures of my flowers. I am really happy with a flower bed I have behind the garage. I planted a seed packet in the raised bed that was just a mix of wildflowers. I also planted sunflowers in the back. I only weeded it a couple times and watered it sporadically, but it grew beautifully -- that is my kind of gardening. It gets morning sun or I would have more pictures of it, especially as a backdrop. It is too bright to take pictures there in the morning and too dark in the afternoon. All the colors are so intense and lovely.



5 comments:

Sara said...

I've always been envious of all the pictures showing your one acre of lush, green lawn (we don't have near as much grass and currently it's pretty brown and crunchy - so enjoy your yard, even if it does mean more work!

So many memories on that 3wheeler...although, I never was much for Jeff's dare-devil driving!

simplykersh said...

What beautiful flowers!

Peters Family Farms said...

The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more.

Cathy said...

God work, Emma...even if it was only for 2.5 minutes! Ahhh, the attention span of little ones (unless of course, they are doing something naughty). You guys must have a well! I wish that our two acres of grass was green through the summer! You are so lucky!! Actually, it is at least half-way green right now because of all the rain we've had. I think I'd rather have brown grass.

Dan & Hillary said...

Awww... the plight of the home/yard owner;-) Luv ya!!