Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Meet Alaythia

Have I ever told you about Alaythia? I knew her back when I was 19. I would barely even recognize her now. She worked for a Christian camp in southern California and was a lifeguard with another girl, Pheona. Together they sat by the beautiful pool and maintained order and protected young little swimmers. They worked on their tans a lot and Alaythia had the idea that she was some kind of guitar master. It happens to most people after they attend a very musically minded college, but Alaythia had it bad, taking her guitar everywhere with her, saying things like, "That makes me think of a G major triad." Alaythia was all about discovering herself that summer. Besides the tan and the guitar, she desperately wanted to find out her purpose in life. She had a great boyfriend who thought she was as amazing as sun in Saskatchewan. She was about to return to college and finish her BA in Biblical Studies. She was on student leadership again as a resident coordinator. And was dreading the very thought of each of the above mentioned.

One day toward the end of summer, she hiked her tanned and toned body (from doing water polo workouts with Pheona) down the trail around the camp. She found the rock that tradition stated was "Manhood Rock." It was the place where young Indian warriors proved themselves by climbing up the face of the rock barefoot, blindfolded, with their hands tied behind their backs. It made for a good camp story anyway and every camper who came through tried to climb the rock just like the Indian boys did. So, Alaythia climbed to the top with shoes on, no blindfold, and used her hands. She lay on top of the rock and cried and cried about her miserable life with the good tan, nice boyfriend, educational goals within reach, and not to mention all her friends and family who loved her -- understandably, her life was a mess. She was crying and crying some more when she finally cried herself into a dream-filled sleep. In her dreams she felt fulfilled and loved. She was happy, but she couldn't make out the details. With a start she woke up to a clear whisper, "I have something better for you." Alaythia looked around and saw no one. She sat on Manhood Rock, that she secretly re-named Womanhood Rock, and thought about the dream and the whispered message, "I have something better for you." The sun began to set and she made her way back up the mountain trail to change her life. 

First, Alaythia got on the pay phone and called her boyfriend. He was overjoyed to hear her voice until she said, "I am breaking up with you. You are a great person and everything, but I just heard the voice of God tell me that He has something better for me." Those break-up conversations never go well, but that one was especially bad. The great boyfriend said that God had clearly told him that they should get married. How could God give 2 such conflicting messages? Alaythia replied that her message was clear, so great-boyfriend must be wrong and she ended the conversation.

Next, Alaythia called her parents. She said, "Ya, I just heard God's voice! I am not going back to college. Instead, I am going to travel the world. Can I come live at home for awhile?" Alaythia's parents were used to her independent ways, but were still shocked and dismayed. Her mom even asked about the great boyfriend, who they really liked. Alaythia told them about God's whisper and what could they do but accept their daughter's choice.

After that, Alaythia made a whole bunch of other phone calls, using up her precious phone card. She called her school and told them she would not be returning. She called her former college roommate and told her that yes, she would still come to her the wedding, but she wasn't returning to Canada for school. She called her old boss and asked for her old job back since she would need traveling money. Then, she called her friend Janelle, and said, "Hey, let's go to Europe."

The rest is history. Alaythia disappeared completely after that summer. Back at home she was Alysun again. You remember Alaythia's life-guard friend, right? Well, her name was also Alison. To avoid confusion, they came up with alter-egos for themselves. Alysun means "truth" in Greek and the Greek word for truth is "alaythia." Keeping with the Greek theme (I took 2 semesters of Greek in college and was just a bit obsessed with the language), Alison became the Greek goddess, Pheona. Pheona/Alison moved on too and is currently finishing up grad. school in San Francisco. 

It was an amazing summer, full of memories and changes. That moment on Womanhood Rock was pivotal in my life. From that time on, I did not settle, instead I excelled and had an amazing time looking for God's "something better" for my life. The great-boyfriend took some convincing of God's new plan for my life, but eventually moved on is now has a lovely wife and son. I didn't go back to school and finish my degree and I have no regrets. Maybe someday I will go back to the great white north and finish it. Maybe. My priorities are different these days. As for my plans to travel the world, I did that as well. I went to Canada that next fall for two weeks and took my first solo road-trip to my best friend's wedding. That was a learning experience and I'll save some good stories for another post. The following spring I went to Europe with my friend Janelle and seeing life outside myself changed me. I met someone special through a friend and I fell in love with my husband after I came home from Europe. By November, we were engaged and then married in March -- a year and a half from my Womanhood Rock experience. 

God truly did have something better for me. Whether God actually spoke to little ol' me, I don't know. But in that moment, I felt the peace of God that transcends all understanding and so much of my confusion became clear. In the 9 years since my summer as the extremely tanned Alaythia, I can see how God has been with me every step of the way. Even when I want to run and hide from a place that is too hard or painful, around the next corner I can see something better. I am thankful for God's whispers of peace.


11 comments:

Grandma Sherri said...

Ah, I remember, but parents don't always feel all the pain or see the confusion, or hear the voices, children don't often communicate clearly and are left to wonder and pray. Loved hearing the story in hind sight. A really good love story and I don't think I knew K was married. Happy endings all around!

Lindsay said...

You really had me!! I was reading so intently and then figured out it was you! What an wonderful story. I always enjoying hearing how the Lord has worked in people's lives.

Katie Miller said...

I am pretty that was my first summer working at camp! Wonderful memories.

Cathy said...

Why is that hind sight is always better. Thanks for sharing another part of your life with us! Great reminder of how God works when nothing makes sense.

pennyf said...

Great story! I hadn't known that part of your history ;)

Grace said...

What a great testimony of looking for God's best! Working with youth we try to get that across all the time. Things look good, but what does God want for YOUR life? Thanks for living it out and sharing with the rest of us!

Shawna said...

You are such an inspiring story teller, letting your readers experience such intimacy in such a fun way. When I first started reading I was looking at the photo and I thought she looked familiar. As I read on, I got chills as my biological Dad had an experience where he described an angel appearing to him after his cancer diagnosis and said "You are going to Heaven". He ran in the house and sat down, he thought she meant right then! He wasn't the nicest person in the world but after that moment he worked on righting his wrongs and preparing for his journey Home. It always made him feel funny to tell that story as if no one would believe him. Reading your story warms my heart to know it really happens. He would have enjoyed reading your story too.

Linds and Manda said...

God is so good! He truly knows what we need. I remember those days well. I remember feeling disappointed that you weren't coming back to SK to finish at BBC...and be closer to me. :) How selfish. :) But in the days, months and years that have followed those decisions it wasn't only becoming evident to you that God had a better plan for your life than what we had conjured up in a Bergen Place dorm room. Although it is often from a longer distance than I wish...it has been a true blessing to cheer you on as you have taken the steps that God has planned for you. I am so proud of you. It is often easier to keep going through the mire instead of stepping out in faith into the unknown. You spur me on to remember that God's way is perfect and his peace passes all understanding. Love you.

Peters Family Farms said...

very well written! a joy to read!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was years ago... My, how tan you were! I never was able to pull that one off, lol. Thanks for the smiles and the memories your story provided as i segued off into my own.

Tawny said...

I just read this blog, Alysun, and it made me sad in a happy way-- I was the one at home while you were in college thinking I was going to be married with a family anyday now, when he called me to this single path. I think that God likes to challange us in ways unseen so that it increases our faith.

I remember your journey at this pivital point, and I am so thrilled for your decisions, handed down from the Lord instead of wandering in what the world touts as important instead. I am coming soon, my dear cousin. Look for me.