Thursday, October 02, 2008

Straight out of the camera, or not...

Yesterday I took pictures of a little boy at a vineyard outside of town. His mom, Brooke, asked me to do the pictures after seeing my ad in the MOPS newsletter. She has taken his pictures in the past, but found that he would either not look at her at all or swat at the camera.  When I took his pictures, it completely changed the dynamics of a photography session. His mom was free to entertain him and get him to laugh and I could snap away on my super fast camera. I had a lot of fun and his mom got a lot of great pictures that she didn't have to cry and plead her little boy for. It is a win win.


I love Photoshop. I really do. It isn't that I don't think I take good pictures straight out of the camera, it is just I can always make them better with a little tweaking to the color. I can also take out unsightly things that distract from the composition of the picture. 






The fall colors and ripe fruit at the vineyard were so lovely. The view from the hills outside Monmouth is breathtaking. In the picture above, the colors are rather flat and doesn't do the real view justice. Is anyone else distracted by the power lines running in back? I was really distracted, so I took them out. I also popped the color by doing a whole bunch of things you don't care about with layers and screens.






Ah, much better. I am curious: Do you do anything with your pictures before you print/post them? What do you use, if anything. Or what program do you want to get to improve your pictures?

5 comments:

Kari said...

I just got net paint for free, but don't really know how to use the layers to improve a picture.

Lindsay said...

I love the colors with his red hair! I would have no idea how to do it myself, though!

I think his mom Brooke was at my table a couple years ago. Is the little boy named the same as my little boy?

Cathy said...

I usually go through my pictures and see what I can do with what I have. I use Picasa 3, ACD and Camedia...all free programs either from the internet or free with purchase of camera, etc. I use a little here and little there. I don't have the patience to learn photoshop, I'm afraid. But, I do love tweeking pictures! And yes, my eyes went right to the power line first thing just like yours did, so good move to wipe it out! Fun stuff to be able to do that, ha! Love it!

Annie said...

I love the IDEA of photoshop. I hardly ever use it thought. Unless it's something important like a baby announcement or christmas letter. I love what you did with your pic though. That's probably why people like you and Paul take pictures and I don't!

Cooking with Big E said...

I almost always edit my photos. Usually in Photoshop which I LOVE but if it's an unimportant photo or one that doesn't need much tweaking I'll do it in whatever the Windows picture viewer program opens up.

Love how you edited that picture of Wyatt! You really brought out the color :)