Monday, August 24, 2009

To do:

Hello, my pretties.



I love peaches. I love them fresh from the tree, in pies, and I even love canning them. Of course my zeal for canning is tempered this year by my growing fatigue and my little ones who aren't really old enough to help -- there has been a lot of tv entertainment going on the last few canning days. I picked 85 pounds of peaches and so far have about 3/4ths preserved. The sound of popping lids is gratifying! My inner Granola Mama is quite thrilled with myself.




I still hope to make a pie... maybe tomorrow. And make some more puree for baby food. After that I want to can tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce and apple sauce. There will be a lot of saucing going on in my very ambitious mind. 


I'll keep you posted as any of my ambitions actually come true. My formerly great long list of "must do before the baby comes" used to include things like,

  • Finish scrapbooking Mandy's baby book
  • Organize craft cupboard
  • Sort misc pictures in my Power Sort box
  • Scrapbook through current year in family album
  • Paint baby's room 2 different carefully selected colors
  • Stencil a Baobab tree on the wall
  • Hang chair rail
  • Sew roman shades
  • Sew super cute elephant baby bedding
  • Can peaches, tomatoes, apples, and pears
And now my list of "must do's" looks something like this:
  • do something with the rest of the peaches before they rot
  • set up crib and find not-pink sheet to put on mattress


"Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions." 
H.W. Longfellow

signiture3

13 comments:

simplykersh said...

Yeah, I know your thrill with peaches. I am about half way through my own 82 lbs! Tomorrow I finish! Did you hot pack? I noticed your peaches didn't float and I was wondering if that is why. Also, if you get tired of canning, peaches dry in to very yummy snacks and when the sauce is put in the blender with a little apple sauce and if desired honey it makes wonderful fruit leather. Happy stickyness!

Shawna said...

EIGHTY FIVE POUNDS of Peaches?! WOW I am impressed. I wish they had smelliblog, I could almost smell the picture, but I guess even Apple can't do scratch and sniff screens, at least not yet! Until then, I can only imagine.

Unknown said...

You are hilarious! I love the "must do" ambitions. :) Those peaches look fantastic. Why don't you come on over, bring some peaches and the girls, and make some cobbler with us. We'd love to have you!

Melanie said...

Wow - this is ambitious! If it were me, without kids, I'd be happy just to get the peaches done.

Andee said...

Scratch and sniff screens--I like it! Laila suggested drying peach slices. Says they are fantastic.

Cooking with Big E said...

How funny, I'm totally going to blog about canning peaches this afternoon. I still have no idea how you have the energy to do it pregnant!

Love the Must Do list. I hope you have a non-pink crib sheet somewhere! We have all unisex sheets save for one purple sheet. Every now and again Ethan uses it because it's the only one clean. He also uses a hot pink bib on occasion and doesn't seem to mind. Of course his favorite baby doll at the moment is purple baby...

Carrie Peeples said...

Your to-do list reminded me of a couple things I should add to mine. But right now sleep seems to take priority and I'm 7 weeks behind you! I'm just finishing my busy wedding coordinating season so hopefully can start working on my to-do list. The room is mostly set up and we've re-organized a lot of what I wanted done when my parents were here. So now it's little things, like making progress on scrapbooking and... whatever else, but things don't seem as important right now ;)

Aly sun said...

Odessa, I took the picture before processing the jar. All of mine floated after processing too. I like the idea of fruit leather. I think I'll give that a try.

Grandma Sherri said...

Scratch and sniff is good but just hand me one thru the screen, I can hardly stand it I want one so bad!!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get your peaches? Do you want some honey? I want to come out to the farm, but alas I have been sick. Jenni Birch

Linds and Manda said...

Doing a bit of nesting I see. I wish my to do list was as fun as yours...and the outcome as gorgeous. I want to stencil a tree on a wall. :)

Sara said...

I'm so impressed! The only canning I've done so far is tuna. Speaking of which, are you interested in doing an exchange? Some tuna for some of your peaches or tomato sauce or whatever?

I totally understand about the to do list and how quickly it can change toward the end of the pregnancy!

Rebecca said...

Your blog has great quotes! I LOVE quotes and several of your's I'd never read before and I love finding new ones to add to my list!