Friday, October 30, 2009

Reveling in Autumn's Goodness

This is my favorite time of year. I love the colors. I love the crisp cool air. I even love the rain. There is a fire in my wood stove and we are toasty warm. Along with all this goodness, comes a desire for heartier foods and I cannot stop myself from cooking and baking my favorites. I'm including some recipes that I've recently made. Feel free to leave a comment about your favorite food.

  • Hearty Friendship Stew. I made this dry mix the other day at MOPS and my family really enjoyed it. Click here to see the recipe. It has amazing things like lentils, split peas, and pear barley in it (find it all in the bulk section at the grocery store). I just made 5 soup mixes for $4.06! 

  • Pumpkin Bread and a cup of tea. I used a recipe on Allrecipes.com most recently for Pumpkin Bread and it was very good, but not out of this world. I made a couple changes (like less sugar, some ww flour, and less oil), so you can find your own recipe and adapt accordingly. 


  • Molasses Ginger Snaps. I couldn't find a recipe I liked for these childhood favorites, so adapted one. This recipe only makes about 18 cookies, but they are the perfect chewy consistency. 
3/4 cup butter shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

You know how to make cookies... must mix the stuff together. If you want traditional cookies with sugar on top, chill your dough and then roll each unbaked cookie in sugar before baking at 350 for 11 minutes. Amazingly, I skipped this extra sugar step and the cookies were still eaten up with rave reviews.

signiture3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grammy says she is on her way to WINCO to get the ingredients to try the soup using canned beef instead of the ground meat.