Friday, October 02, 2009

What's on the agenda:

I am fully aware you did not come here to see a picture of bread.

You also probably don't want to hear me complain that I am still pregnant.

And I have a cold now. Not a terrible one. I've had worse, but it is a bit like adding insult to injury.

But you don't want to hear about that either.

So, back to the bread:


I bought a big 5 lb. bag of Quinoa at Costco after my midwife suggested it as a protein rich and quick alternative to brown rice. It is a round little grain with a bit of a bite. I like it, but my family doesn't. I was sitting around thinking about Quinoa because I have nothing better to do and also my husband got our ancient tv to pick up a signal with a digital converter box and a new antenna so I can watch Public Broadcasting once again. I was watching a cooking show and they were talking about Quinoa, pronounced Keen-wa. Who knew? I've heard of Keen-wa, but had no idea it was the same thing as Quinoa. The very same day, a friend on FB said that she was making Quinoa bread. I immediately did a search for a recipe because it sounded hearty and lovely.

My search for a recipe didn't warrant much. I decided I could use the cooked Quinoa like cooked oatmeal in bread, thinking I could find more rated recipes. I found a few recipes and then adapted them. My finished product turned out delicious. If you want to make a bread that will fill you up completely, try this. It is very delicious and moist and my children are not complaining of hunger for the first time in about 2 years -- they are ALWAYS hungry. It is a dense bread and didn't rise as tall as I would have hoped, but is still pleasant to look at. If you don't have/want Quinoa, try this bread with Steal-cut oats (1 3/4 cup) softened in 2 1/4 cups boiling water instead of water and Quinoa.


Quinoa Whole Wheat Bread

Mix together and set aside until butter is melted:
1 cup warm water
2 cups cooked Quinoa
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Stir together and let set until bubbly:
2 packages dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons each)
1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)

Combine Quinoa and yeast mixtures and add:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax meal
Add alternately until a stiff dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); 

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), 1-2 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide in half. Working with one portion at a time, roll each portion into a 14 x 8-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Roll up each rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place each loaf, seam sides down, in a 9-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Bake at 350ยบ for 45 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pan, and cool on wire racks.

signiture3

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Alysun,
First, I didn't comment on your last post, but the applesauce contraption looks amazing. I am still living in the days of the peeler/corer/slicer, which does take forever. I got my boys (big and small) to run it for me though, so that helps!
Second, I will have to try this bread. I, too, bought the big bag of Quinoa from Costco, we like it, but it will be nice to have another use for it. Yummy alongside some soup on these cold fall days...
Thirdly, hope your cold is short lived and your baby boy is SPEEDY!

Grandma Sherri said...

Sounds really yummy, I'll have a slice of that and a bowl of applsauce please:)

Melanie said...

Awesome! I've heard of quinoa before, but I've never tried cooking with it. I'm going to file this recipe away for later when I get experiemental.

And I just have to say - I love it when printed and sounded-out words come together!

Kari said...

All the years of my cheesy romance novel reading I read facade in my head as facuade (there was often that funny mark over the c). I knew the word facade in speech, then one day someone must have read it out loud at the same time that I was looking at it, and whoa!!!! all those "fake" people in cheesy romance novels made soooo much more sense!

And my dad will never let me live down my reading book titles from his shelves (pastor shelves that is) I read Ar-mag-a-don. He laughed so hard he could barely tell me the correct pronunciation of Armageddon.

Choco Girl said...

When I first saw Quinoa, it was at the Burger Lounge in Coronado. They sell it as part of their veggie burger. The whole mixture is kind of oily but it is sooo good added with sharp cheddar cheese, of course. I didn't like it the first time around but I like it the second time around. Really good.

Unknown said...

Mom and I made some of your bread today - So good! Thanks for sharing!