Saturday, December 04, 2010

25 days of attempted crafts: Pillow Cover

For many artist, it is hard to discern if their newest idea is pure genius....


 or just plain weird.





I have many moments like this. An idea leaps into my head and it seems to be the best thing since sliced bread. 

Others might not agree.


Like the artist who constructs odd looking duck-things out of newspapers. It is probably a pretty cheap craft, but don't worry, that's not today's featured selection.






It all started when I tossed a few pairs of Rem's outgrown jammies into the "give away" box.  

I realized that when I put those jammies on him a few months ago, they were too big and now they are too small...

 and pretty soon footed fleece pj's won't be cool...

and Rem will be asking for the keys to drive my minivan...

 and looking at colleges so he can leave home...

 and thinking girls other than his mommy are beautiful.



That's when I devised a plan to keep my favorite pair of his jammies forever.





And this, my friends, is where it gets weird.

I sewed straight seams (inside out) from sleeve to sleeve and across the bottom, just above the legs.

That formed a box and I cut off the excess, making sure the zipper was accessible. 






I sewed around the edge, right-side-out, to form a flanged edge.


Then I stuck a pillow in it and zipped it up.






I even transferred the little zipper cover from the top of the pj's to the new zipper top on the pillow.


Have a reached "odd-looking-duck-thing-made-out-of-newspaper" status yet?



Keepsake Fleece Jammie Pillow.

The next cool thing.



Photobucket

5 comments:

Ellyn Canfield said...

LOVE IT!!!!

the little zipper top flap is a perfect touch.

I'd take that over 100 duck newspapers ANY day. ANY DAY.

Anonymous said...

Not weird at all ... absolutely precious! I love all the sentiment.

Take care :)

Janelle said...

It's funny that you just posted this because I was just going to toss a pair of jammies, but loved the fabric and thought, "what could I make with these?" Now I know.

Sherri said...

totally precious idea. I loved those jammies too!

Shawna said...

Can I send you my favorite jammies? Do you take orders? This is ADORABLE!